New Quality Manager Des Evans isn’t just responsible for ensuring the physical specifications of manufactured items are perfect: he’s also charged with keeping a close watch on the factory floor – and everything that happens on it.
Des joined Multipulse from former Nokia subsidiary Vertu, which went out of business in 2017. He fills the position previously held by Tony Baxter who, with his wife Emma – formerly a Multipulse production supervisor – has after 10 years with the company retired to Cyprus to “live a dream”.
In his new role, Des is involved in:
- Pre-delivery quality checks on outgoing hardware
- ISO 9001 compliance to ensure the company satisfies the annual audits
- A wide range of health and safety issues
- Advising on tooling inspection cycles and appropriate remedial action when necessary
- Setting criteria for the inspection of incoming goods
- Managing customers’ scheduled refurbishment programmes – such as the routine replacement of batteries in uninterruptible power supply units for train-borne GSM-R equipment
- Monitoring production statistics on key performance indicators
- Mentoring Multipulse apprentices